- Volunteer Career Experience
Volunteer Career Experience
Practicums and Internships at Sunset Zoo
Are you looking to receive college credit for a career oriented volunteer experience? Sunset Zoo offers short and long career experiences for volunteers. You may participate in a 120 hour experience (10 hours per week for 12 weeks) or a 400 hour experience (34 hours per week for 12 weeks). All positions are volunteer based (un-paid), gaining real-world experience in the zoo & aquarium industry at an AZA accredited facility.
Who can apply for a career experience?
In order to participate in a career experience at Sunset Zoo, you must be:
- At least 18 years of age
- Currently enrolled in college and have completed at least 15 hours or be a recent graduate, within the last 2 years.
- Participants must be able and willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Provide a negative TB test (administered within the last calendar year) prior to start date
- Be proficient in the English language
How do you apply for a career experience?
In order to participate in a career experience at Sunset Zoo, you will need to complete the online application. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CareerExperience
Materials you will need to complete the application include:
- City Volunteer Application
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial transcript
- A 250 – 500 word essay explaining in which area(s) you would like to gain experience and what you hope to accomplish by focusing on that area of interest. Please limit your essay to a maximum of 3 areas of focus.
- School-related paperwork required to receive credit
Areas of focus for the Career Experience
Sunset Zoo offers career experiences in several areas. For your major area of focus, you will choose from one of the following options:
Participants in the Volunteer Career Experience will also gain experience with maintenance, program development, office/administrative work, and agency research within their respective area of interest and/or in other departments within the zoo.
All volunteers will develop and complete a primary project that will enhance zoo operations and/or knowledge.
Application Deadlines and Admission Notifications
For the 2021 – 2022 school year, here are important dates to know. Start and end dates are flexible in accordance with school calendar.
Application Due Date
Notification of Acceptance
May 23 – August 14
April 4, 11:59 PM, CST
April 7th – 28th
Sept 5 – Dec 3
June 6, 11:59 PM, CST
June 9th – 30th
Jan 31 – April 30
September 5, 11:59 PM, CST
Sept 8th – 29th
May 22 – August 13
April 3, 11:59 PM, CST
April 6th – 27th
For additional questions please contact Nicole Wade by phone 785-587-2737 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.